Child Sponsorship

Child Sponsorship in Brampton, ON

Navigate child sponsorship in Brampton, ON, with Pilkington Immigration at the helm. We have the knowledge to guide you through reuniting with your child or children in Canada. Learn about the child sponsorship program here and contact us to schedule a consultation. 

The Child Sponsorship Program in Canada

Sponsoring your child who lives abroad to come and live with you in Canada as a permanent resident is a significant decision. The process allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to reunite with their dependent children who are residing overseas. It's a journey that requires a thorough understanding of Canadian immigration laws and the application process. Sponsoring your child entails demonstrating your ability to support them financially and ensuring they meet the eligibility criteria. Collaboration with professional consultants, such as those at Pilkington Immigration, can be instrumental in navigating the complexities of the immigration system, ensuring your child's successful transition to permanent residency in Canada. The process not only brings families together but also allows children to share in the opportunities and quality of life Canada offers.

Age and Level of Dependency

Child sponsorship is possible for a parent living in Canada who has custody of a child residing abroad under 22. As of October 24, 2017, to meet paragraph (b) of the definition of “dependent child” under section R2, a child must be in one of the following situations:

  • Under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
  • 22 years of age or older, have depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 and are unable to support themselves financially due to a physical or mental condition—it is the financial dependency that must have been ongoing since before the age of 22; it is not necessary for the physical or mental condition to have existed before the age of 22
  • Dependent children who do not have a physical or mental condition must remain unmarried and not in a common-law relationship for the duration of processing up until the point of becoming a permanent resident

In regards to civil status, a dependent who is single, divorced, or widowed, whose marriage has been annulled, or who is no longer in a common-law relationship at the time of the initial receipt of the application is considered to meet the definition of a dependent child and must continue to meet the definition of a dependent child for the duration of processing.

Relationship Between a Parent and Dependent Child

A dependent child is either a biological child or an adopted child of a parent [R2(a)]. The term “biological child” has been interpreted to include children in any one of the following situations:

  • Was born to the parent making the application
  • Is not genetically related to the parent making the application but was born to the person who, at the time of the birth of the child, was that parent's spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner
  • Was born through the application of assisted human reproduction technologies

A birth certificate or baptismal certificate is acceptable proof of a biological relationship between a child and a parent.

Lock-in Age of Dependent Children for Immigration Applications

The dependent child's age, accompanying or non-accompanying, is locked in on the application’s received date. For family class applications, the age of a dependent child is locked in on the date of receipt of the principal applicant’s complete permanent residence application. 

  • A child who is less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner at the time of “age lock-in” continues to be dependent even if they turn 22 during the processing of the application, as long as they are still unmarried and not in a common-law relationship when permanent residence is confirmed. 
  • A child who is 22 or over and dependent on their parent(s) due to a physical or mental condition is eligible to be processed as a dependent. However, they must continue to be dependent when a final decision is made on the application and when permanent residence in Canada is confirmed.

Custody Issues for Dependent Children

Applicants who have included in their application children who are subject to custody orders must provide proof that they are allowed to remove the children from the area of jurisdiction of the court. The parent or legal guardian overseas must provide written consent for the child to travel to Canada to become a permanent resident. A court order is acceptable in cases where that person is unwilling to provide consent.

Non-accompanying parents or guardians and former spouses or common-law partners must complete and submit a Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada form [IMM 5604] (PDF, 609.23KB) for each applicable child. The applicant is expected to make every reasonable effort to contact and obtain written consent from the other parent.

Custodial matters can be complicated, as family law varies from country to country and should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. As a rule, where the other parent provides no consent, the onus is on the applicant to provide evidence that they have sole custody of a dependent and to verify that the non-accompanying parent does not have custody of the child or any objection to the removal of the child from the country of origin.

Suppose the parents share custody of the child. In that case, IRCC must usually obtain written confirmation from the other parent that they have no objection to the child being processed for permanent residence in Canada. Where parents share custody of a child according to a written agreement stating that the child is not able to travel to Canada permanently, the original agreement must be amended or replaced with a new agreement allowing the child to come to Canada and live with the parent who is seeking to move here.

Parent Sponsorship

It is also possible to reunite with your parents or grandparents and bring them to Canada after establishing permanent residence. Contact us to learn more about our parent sponsorship assistance and to schedule a consultation. 


Request an Appointment



Business Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00 to 5:00 by appointment

Law Society of Ontario
The Oklahoma Bar Association
Sports Professional Association
Lead Counsel Rated
Best Business of 2021