How to Apply for Parent Sponsorship in Brampton, ON
Parent sponsorship in Brampton, ON, has become a highly competitive immigration category as many new Canadians wish to sponsor their parents to join them in Canada. The number of sponsorships each year is capped, and there is a minimum income requirement for sponsors which is based on the past three tax years.
The Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents outside Quebec to sponsor their parents and/or grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.
Parents and Grandparents Program: The Process
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) operates a lottery system sponsoring parents whereby citizens and permanent residents must submit an interest-to-sponsor form before being placed in a pool. IRCC makes random draws from the pool and issues invitations to apply. The sponsors and their parents and/or grandparents then have 60 days to submit a full application after being invited to apply.
The sponsoring individual must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Live in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- Have enough money to support those they want to sponsor by meeting minimum income requirements for the previous three years, income can include both spouses in the same household
Parents and Grandparents Program: Who can be Sponsored?
Individuals who are eligible to be sponsored under the Parents and Grandparents Program are:
- Parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Spouses or common-law partners of parents and grandparents in cases of marriage
- Full or half brothers and sisters of sponsors if they qualify as dependent children
Parents and Grandparents Super Visa
Individuals who are not successful in the parental sponsorship process should consider the Parents and Grandparents Super Visa, which allows a parent or grandparent to visit Canada for up to two years at a time and allows multiple entries for up to ten years.
Contact Pilkington Immigration – Brampton for Parent Sponsorship Assistance
The immigration consultants at Pilkington Immigration – Brampton are here to assist you with your parental sponsorship matter, along with other types of immigration programs such as spousal sponsorship, child sponsorship, Canadian citizenship, and more. Contact us today to request a free five-minute consultation!